Tuesday, May 25, 2010

We're Having a Heat Wave!

This past Sunday was pretty warm...I think it got close to 90 degrees. We had talked about turning on the air conditioner, but had a decent breeze coming in and the house is in the shade for most of the day so we didn't. As the day went on, it started getting warmer and warmer inside. We turned on the ceiling fans, and that helped a little. Jake was gone that evening, and we hadn't yet taken the cover off the air conditioner from winter. I didn't want to deal with trying to go out and do that with both kids, so we just dealt with the warmth.

Monday brought near 100 degree heat index. We waited until we got home to turn on the air, because this is the first time we were turning it on since moving here last October. Before purchasing the house, we had an inspection but they never checked the a/c unit. We were hesitant, but not too worried. I mean, what could be wrong with it, right?!

Well, after turning it on when we got home at 6pm and setting it for 74 degrees (it was at 82 when turned on) I could feel some coolish air coming out, so thought it was working. By the time I put the kids to bed at 8:30, I was starting to drip with sweat - looked at the thermostat and it was only down to 81. What??? Jake was gone again, so I kept the ceiling fans on and told him about it this morning. (The temperature this morning was a balmy 79 degrees-warmer than it was outside!) We had someone come look at it, and it turns out there is a weak compressor on the unit. It will be a few days before we can get it fixed. Great!

Tonight when we got home, we had all the windows open until it started raining and the fans were all going. It was still feeling warm, so Ella decided to strip down completely. I looked over and she was rolling around on the living room floor naked. When I asked her what she was doing, she said "I have on my pretend swimsuit and I'm swimming in my pretend pool!" Guess you have to keep cool somehow!!!


Photobucket

No comments: